To be a leading NGO that will change, improve and empower the livelihoods of young women in Leadership, gender and development, social-economic and reproductive health aspects of their lives in Zambia.
To improve and empower the lives of young women in Zambia.
In-school and community-based girls and young women between the ages of 15 and 35 years.
The organization adheres to the values of:
- Service and Volunteerism
- Unity and Team Work
Affiliation and Stakeholders
- YWA is an affiliate to the National Youth Development Council (NYDC). This is a board which was formed under the act of Parliament to coordinate and regulate youth organisations in the country. Currently, YWA serves as secretariat of the National Youth Network on Population and Development (NYPD)
- YWA is an active member of the Non-Governmental Coordinating Council (NGOCC) the umbrella body of the Women’s Movement. YWA has continued advancing its values and participation in the women’s movement.
- YWA sits on the Executive Committee of the Civil Society Africa Peer Review Mechanism
- YWA is part of the National Child Rights Forum (NCRF) Network comprising of organisations that work on the welfare and wellbeing of Children in Zambia.
- YWA is also a member of the Civil Society in Constitution Agenda (CiSCA) network that works towards ensuring that the government is in line with the constitution in all its dealings in Zambia.
- YWA works closely with the Ministry of Youth, Sport and Child Development (MSYCD) as well as a number of youth organizations
- YWA participates in various Government Sectorial Advisory groups in various Government ministries
- YWA currently sits on the National Gender Budgeting Team for the Women’s Movement formed by NGOCC
- YWA currently represents the youth across the country through the YWA representative on the National AIDS Council Board.
- At international level, YWA has links and works closely with the Association for Women in Development (AWID), Young Feminists Activities; Coady International Institute’s Youth Certificate Programme, Oxfam GB, Restless London,Vital Voices Young Women’s Leadership programme, and many other networks in Africa.
- During the 2011 elections, YWA was one of the organisations that was incorporated in the electoral loose coalition formed by the National Democratic Institute (NDI) to monitor the 2011 elections. The other organisations that were in a loose coalition were with OYV, SACCORD, ZNWL, CARITAS, FODEP, TIZ and AVAP
- YWA also belongs to a loose coalition set up for the youth to input into the Zambian. This coalition was set up by NDI and the other organisations in the coalition are YALI, Youth Alive Zambia and Youth Rainbow Coalition.
- YWA belongs to a loose coalition on sexual reproductive health. The organisations in the coalition are WLSA, Youth Vision, PPAZ, Tasintha, Generation Alive, WiLDAF, YWCA, Edusport, Women HIV/AIDS Users Network, and AWOMI
- Between 2010 and 2012, YWA was also part of a loose alliance implementing a Women and Landrights project. Other organisations that were in this loose coalition were ZLA, YWCA and Action Aid
- YWA works in close collaboration with the Local Government Association on Zambia (LGAZ) on young women’s participation in governance, leadership and entrepreneurship.